Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Correcting the scare that Muslims are told to kill non-believers, continued




My friend replied to my earlier December 30th email about the Muslims told to kill all non-believers, saying

I know you think everything you read on Snopes is the gospel truth, but I wonder who is behind
that website, who writes the comments and what axe do they have to grind?  Who says they have the
only truth???  I will stick with the real Truth that I believe in and remember that most of what
I read in emails, hear on TV or read in an article is probably NOT the truth at all.  I think my
New Year's resolution will be to NOT forward another email....period!  That would also save me a
great deal of time.....I will give that serious thought. 

Thanks again for your comments!!  You always help keep me on the straight and narrow road.

Later that day, I replied:

I don't necessarily think everything on Snopes is 100% true, for human beings can make mistakes. However, I do know that they are trying to report the facts; they have "no axe to grind." Whereas the emails we get forwarded to us, we don't know anything about who originally put them together. They could have purposely made up the "facts," or not tried to make sure of their facts. Or they could be reporting accurately! So it's best to get the equivalent of the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

Moreover, you'll recall an email I forwarded which said that many of these emails are sent out just to get us to forward them, because a hidden part of the email sends the eddresses back to the originator so he can send out spam.

So it behooves us as responsible people to at least check with Snopes. Then, if we do forward something, we at least know it's true!

As to possibly not forwarding any emails at all, that does need serious thought! But uplifting thoughts and photos, they're worth sharing, don't you think?

"You're welcome" for your compliment about "keeping you on the straight and narrow road." I'd rather not be doing so, but then I think of all the people my friends forward to who forward to others who.... and decide I should try to help keep false emails from reverberating around the Internet for years to come!




-


No comments:

Post a Comment